Bath Hospital Radio will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2014 and the celebrations will kick off with a special weekend of live programmes at the end of May.
The anniversary weekend, taking place on Saturday 31st June & Sunday 1 May, will include a special programme featuring the first 12 records ever played on Bath Hospital Radio when it was launched in summer 1964.
“Since playing those first tracks Bath Hospital Radio has entertained millions of patients at the Royal United Hospital and Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases,” said Tony Johns, programme organiser.
The radio station has had numerous highlights over the last 50 years including:
- the introduction of live programmes following our 10th anniversary in 1974
- the move to new premises at the Royal United Hospital in 1989
- the launch of 24 hour broadcasting in 2000
- being named Hospital Radio Station of the Year in 2002
- the creation of two new studios with state-of-the-art equipment after volunteers raised £20,000 in 2004.
“Today Bath Hospital Radio and its team of volunteers broadcast to patients, visitors and staff at both hospitals in Bath as well as to friends and family listening in online,” said Ian Martin, chair of trustees of Bath Hospital Broadcasts Society, the charity which runs Bath Hospital Radio.